4.3 Technological Achievements in distilled Spirit Production Afterthe Founding of the People's Republic of China
- Isolation of useful microorganisms aimed to increase the saccharifying and fermenting ability of
Da Qu and raise the yield of ethanoal production.
- Isolation of useful microorganisms aimed to enhance the abilityof flavour substance formation.
- Mechanization of Da Qu block production aimed to reduce labour intensity.
The production process for Luzhou- flavour Type Spirit which has been intensively studied by many factories and research institutes. The main achievements are list below:
- (1) Temperature patterns during fermentation and its control model People have concluded: the initial temperature of fermenting grains should be appropriate, rising of temperature should be slow at the first stage and maintained constant at the second stage and decreased slowly at the final stage.
- (2) Refermentation operation:- Refermentation operation includes:
- Refermentation of the distilled spent grains aimed at increasing yield of ethanol and recovering of flavour substances.
- Refermentation of the low quality spirits aimed at obtaining high quality spirits.
- slowly distilling and carefully controlling the temperature.
- seperately collecting spirits according to alcohol content and flavor characters.
There are two kinds of processes for production of low alcohol content spirit currently used in China. The most successful one is to chose the fine spirit as main ingredient and add water into it to adjust to appropriate concentration of alcohol, then the low alcohol spirits are blend with flavor-enhancing constitute. After being stored and filtered, the products can be consumed.Another one is to blend and add flavor- enhancing constitute firstly, then add water to low down the alcohol content of spirit. Because of the low alcohol content of the spirit,it is difficult for some flavoring substances to be dissolved in it. Some sediments(mainly consisted of esters) appeared after adding water to it. It is necessary to remove sediments and to purifying the water used.
Now a lots of famous Chinese spirits are produced in the form oflow alcohol content. The alcohol content are about 40 % (v/v). They arebecoming more and more popular in China.
Much work still remaine to be studied in this field.